In 1848, Henry E. Howe, first generation, operated his printing equipment with a gasoline engine and a series of belts and pulleys.
Henry's son, Lyman J. Howe (LJ) returned home from World War 1 and the company began to grow into the second generation.
LG's two son's, William (Bill) and LJ Jr. (Jack), wo had enlisted in the navy and later returned to Prairie du Chien in 1946, became the third generation in the printing business. A commercial printing plan and a weekly newspaper expanded with post-war economic growth.
The story continues with the fourth generation, John, son of Jack, running a well-equipped, state-of-the-art commercial printing plant providing an outstanding reputation for customer service and quality product output. (Gary, son of Bill, operates the Courier Press in the original Howe Printing Company building).
In 2017, although the business was thriving, Jack made the difficult decision to sell the company to the Blaschko family in Arcadia Wisconsin. Blaschko Enterprises Inc operates multiple print divisions called Supreme Graphics and Supreme School Supply. Howe Printing Company remains in Prairie du Chien and serves southwest WI and northeast IA.